Re: [exim] Protesting AOL pay to send email plan

Autor: Richard Clayton
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Protesting AOL pay to send email plan
In message <440A3211.90301@???>, W B Hacker
<wbh@???> writes

>AOL users may, or may not, see an increase in 'legitimized'
>spam. IF [ any | enough] organizations choose to pay the fee.
>
>Might AOL then also charge the *users* another fee to have the
>now-legitimized spam once again filtered?

There's some useful information about what AOL are actually changing
within their system in John Levine's blog

        http://weblog.johnlevine.com/Email/goodmail.html

You'll notice a certain tension between what John thinks is going on
compared with the EFF description, and so you'll need to make up your
own mind how excited to get -- at least in the short term.

I would observe in passing that EFF have not generally had a
particularly mainstream position on dealing with spam

        http://www.eff.org/spam/position_on_junk_email.php

since they have tended to concentrate on the rights of senders,
especially those sending political speech, rather than -- as I suspect
most here may do -- making the rights of recipients paramount. However,
do make up your own mind :)

- --
richard                                                   Richard Clayton

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin 11 Nov 1755