Re: [exim] Debian uucp

Author: Matthew Newton
To: Brent Clark
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Debian uucp
On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 10:19:03AM +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> mail:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep -i uucp
> uucp:x:10:10:uucp:/var/spool/uucp:/bin/sh
> mail:~#
>
> So my question is, for the Debian distobution, would it be safe to delete
> this user, or would anyone have another solution to this problem.

I recently created a standard exim config file for "service
machines", i.e. those that do not generally handle user mail. Part
of this is that any outgoing mail for a "system account" always
comes from a fixed local part @host.le.ac.uk, and mail from "user accounts"
come from local part @le.ac.uk.

The definition of "system" account in debian is uid < 1000, so I
use the following macro:

Is_SysAcct = ${if <{${extract{2}{:}\
               {${lookup passwd {$local_part}{$value}{0}}}}}\
               {1000}\
             {1}{0}}

You can then use it in something like (this is a rewrite rule, of
course you need it in an ACL instead).

  *@+local_host      "${if ={Is_SysAcct}{0}{$local_part@???}{$0}}"   Ff

Matthew

(It's a shame macros cant have arguments, in some way, otherwise I
could see that becoming Is_SysAcct($local_part) rather than having
to be hard-coded into the macro definition.)

--
Matthew Newton <mcn4@???>

UNIX and e-mail Systems Administrator, Network Support Section,
Computer Centre, University of Leicester,
Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom