Re: [exim] Spamtrap with SpamAssassin

Author: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Spamtrap with SpamAssassin
On 2/10/06 3:47 AM, "Cédric MARCOUX" <cmarcx@???> wrote:

> I would like to make a "spamtrap" account on exim using SpamAssassin.
> Here is what I wan to do
>
> * user@??? receive a spam that has not been tagged as spam by
> SpamAssassin
> => the user@??? forward this mail to spam@???
> => the .forward stored in the account spam@??? should add the
> forwarded spammer email to the SpamAssassin blacklist in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf

What to do plan to do when user1 of your system likes a particular message,
and user2 thinks the same message is spam?

Or, as is very common, attempts to unsubscribe from a mailing list he DID
subscribe to, by marking it as spam?

And what about the sender whose address was forged in a reported message who
routinely sends mail to a friend who is one of your users, and suddenly
can't?

Even AOL gives some slack for those cases before blacklisting a sender.

As to how to do it, one approach would be based on the logfile and logwrite
commands found in Section 3.15 of the Exim filter specification (number may
differ, this is from the Exim 4.50 docs (the version I have handy on my
desktop machine).

After suitable lines are written, either a periodic process, or something
tailing the "log" file being written if you want instant gratification,
would adjust a database which Exim consults to find banned senders.

Somewhere in the design you need to keep in mind that a message might come
in Tuesday, and not be seen and reported until the following weekend.

--John