Fwd: [exim] Exim has stopped sending email

Author: Rafa
To: exim-users
Subject: Fwd: [exim] Exim has stopped sending email
Sorry, didn't reply to the list. Doh!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rafa <rafaor@???>
Date: Feb 7, 2006 4:42 PM
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim has stopped sending email
To: Mike Jones <mike.jones@???>

On 2/7/06, Mike Jones <mike.jones@???> wrote:

> We have exim V4.3 installed along with ClamAV and SpamAssassin and its
> perfectly happy to receive emails. However if someone tries to send a
> reasonably sized email (an attachment) then we get a timeout error in
> Outlook. This also happens with our Linux and Mac users. Small emails seem
> unaffected and get sent fine.

Hello

I dunno if the reason is the same, but I've had some odd behaviour with
clamav and certain emails with attach.

Clamav will freeze up while scanning certain message (not too big, since I
don't scan mails over 2MB) and exim becomes so slow after that (clamav hogs
the CPU) that connections take forever (in some cases causing smtp
timeouts).

I have clamav set to not descend more than 1 level into zip files. rars are
not scanned.

This only happens on Solaris and FreeBSD, not on Linux, for some reason.
This is also not very easy to reproduce, since most attach (no matter what
size) go thru without problem.

Usually the solution is to kill the clamava process and restart it. I'm
using the standard exiscan mechanism to communicate with clamav and
spamassassin. Maybe I'll give sophie a try.