[exim] Exim has stopped sending email

Author: Mike Jones
To: exim-users
Subject: [exim] Exim has stopped sending email
This has only started happening in the last week or so, and I've drawn a
blank as to the cause.

We have exim V4.3 installed along with ClamAV and SpamAssassin and its
perfectly happy to receive emails. However if someone tries to send a
reasonably sized email (an attachment) then we get a timeout error in
Outlook. This also happens with our Linux and Mac users. Small emails seem
unaffected and get sent fine.

Nothing appears in the log files (in fact it looks like the mail hasn't got
to the server to get sent).

This is obviously causing major problems, and its got to the stage now,
where I'm considering rebuilding the mail server.

I've even cleared down the mail queue in case that was the problem.

If anyone has any ideas why this might be happening, let me know. The only
thing we've noticed is all of a sudden SpamAssassin is using a lot of memory
and the server is running out, but we've restricted SA to only scan messages
up to 256K.

Michael Jones
Systems and Network Administrator
Fast Web Media Ltd
Email: michael.jones@???
Tel: +44(0)161 835 3444
Fax: +44(0)161 835 3488
Mobile: +44(0)7921 677161

Fast Web Media Ltd is the wholly owned UK operating company of Total Sports
Online ASA - www.totalsportsonline.com
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee and is strictly
confidential. If you are not the addressee, please do not read, print,
re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it or any attachments. Instead
please e-mail it back to the sender and delete the message from your
computer.
Total Sports Online ASA accepts no liability for changes made to this e-mail
(and any attachments) after it was sent or for viruses arising as a result
of this e-mail transmission.
Any unauthorised reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail message is
strictly prohibited.

Fast Web Media Ltd, 12th Floor, Sunlight House, Quay Street, Manchester, M3
3JZ, UK