RE: [exim] Multiple smarthosts and archiving all emails

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Steve Cox
Para: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [exim] Multiple smarthosts and archiving all emails

On
> Behalf Of W B Hacker
> Sent: 03 February 2006 14:58
> To: exim-users@???
> Subject: Re: [exim] Multiple smarthosts and archiving all emails
>
> Steve Cox wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > I'm setting up an archiving system that will store any email

entering or
> > leaving the local network.
> >

> > Any 'forward all mail' options in the existing mail servers/relays

do
> > just that forward a copy to another mailbox - so all envelope

details
> > are lost. I want to be able to store the emails depending on the

'from'
> > and 'rcpt-to' addresses in the envelope (so we catch BCCs and

mailing
> > list recipients and such).
> >

> > A simple implementation I can think of is to stick a box between the
> > final spam filter gateway and the rest of the LAN - relaying mail
> > between this gateway and the users' mail server and have this do the
> > archiving.
> >

> > To keep the envelope data, rather than have it drop the email into
> > mailboxes, I was thinking of have it SMTP a second copy of each

email to
> > another box which processes each mail coming in directly - so having
> > access to the envelope data. Another benefit of doing the processing

on
> > a separate box is that there is a lot of traffic and I don't want to

put
> > to much more processing load in the company's email stream.
> >

> > So I was thinking that the easiest way to set this up would be to
> > configure this intermediate Exim relay with two smarthosts that

forward
> > on each incoming email to both smarthosts at the same time. But I

don't
> > know if this is possible?
> >

> > Any thoughts on this or another method?
> >

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Steve
>
> IF everything runs through one Exim box, at least at some point,
> it is easy to capture several different 'full message' archives.
>
> We use the same tool for several such:
>
> - an 'unseen' in each router, followed by archive-type-specific
> code in the subsequent section of the 'same' router, selecting
> an additional transport appropriate to the nneds for the archive.
> >

> - Some routers archive everything, others are based on headers,
> (added in an acl, removable if need be) still others are based
> on a 'point score' (for checking acl effectiveness / falsing, etc.)
>
> - One can also archive to different storage types in the
> successive router sections than is used in the preceding ones as
> well as location (mbox, Maildir, etc.)
>
> This should work on a 'smarthost' or relay-host, but
> may also enable you to use one box instead of several.
>
> HTH,
>
> Bill

Many thanks. Using an ACL to filter against the rcpt-to and from headers
will be useful as we are looking to archive against a subset of local
and remote contacts only.

Can you recommend any online documentation for such a configuration?

PS - Apologies all, for sending the original as HTML and not text.

Steve