Re: [exim] Using a pipe filter to allow or deny a message, b…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Graeme Fowler
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Using a pipe filter to allow or deny a message, but nothing else.
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> ...yes, I realise that (I did mention "being daft"). However, setting:
>
> message_body_visible = some_suitable_linecount
>
> and then using $message_headers and $message_body as part of a $run expansion
> (either as arguments or using some sort of "echo" equivalent, would it be
> possible to pass the message to the check script?

No, because (a) if the message were several 10's of megabytes long (or
more) you'd have problems and (b) $message_body turns newlines into
spaces. The WishList items about this read thus:

(304) 02-Nov-04 M A way of seeing the whole message in Perl or ${run

At present, the headers are available in $message_headers, but only part of
the body is visible. The only way to pass the whole body would be as a file
descriptor because it can be very large. See also (42).

(42)  23-Apr-02 T  An option not to flatten newlines in $message_body.

Or maybe better to provide $message_body_nl so as to have both.