Re: [exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems

Autor: Jeff Lasman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems
On Wednesday 11 January 2006 06:18 am, Bradley Walker wrote:

> I am sending that copied at the end of this email.

... <snip> ...

> DirectAdmin (www.directadmin.com) To see their unedited
> exim.conf goto
> http://files.directadmin.com/services/exim.conf

I've been trying to figure out where to make my admission to the
list ... I wrote most of that config file, and I've changed it a few
times since the original design.

> > Is there a strong reason why you're doing this as opposed to doing
> > the scanning at SMTP time using Exim's built-in
> > Content Scanning Extension?

There was at the time the original was written. I presume you're
writing about Exiscan; if you're not, then please tell me what you do
mean.

When I first started working on the file Exiscan wasn't included in the
Exim build installed and distributed by DirectAdmin. It is now, but
the DirectAdmin installation of SpamAssassin has been a moving target,
only recently offering per domain control. I used the code written by
DA staff for that part of the file.

Personally, I don't like SpamAssassin compared to careful choice of
blocklists, and the file was originally written for my own use
(DirectADmin was originally distributed with an Exim-4 compatible file
written by the conversion program for the Exim-3 exim.conf file). Of
course I was happy that DirectAdmin decided to use it. But I never did
anything to clean up the SpamAssassin implementation.

However we're now working on a new file which will include AV scanning
at SMTP data time, so of course I'm willing to move the SpamAssassin
scanning to the same location. I'm still trying to figure out how to
do that on a domain-by-domain basis.

(Any hints are appreciated <smile>.)

> > 3. as a temporary measure, using "temp_errors = *" on your
> > transport that
> > pipes the mail to spamassassin might help to
> > stop the incoming messages actually bouncing and make them stick on
> > your queue instead.

Is that really a good idea for most users of the DirectAdmin system?
Most have no idea how exim works; some have no idea that there's an
exim at all.

We've been recommending folk turn off SpamAssassin temporarily while we
do the rewrite, and use what we call SpamBlocker; our use of the
blocklists. For us that seems to catch a lot more spam than
SpamAssassin does, at a very low system "cost". (We won't get into the
argument about blocking vs filtering here, I hope.)

If I recall correctly I did post some sections of the file to this list
for comment but I don't recall if I ever posted or pointed to the
entire file or not, and certainly didn't for "Version 2".

So I'll take all the help I can get so I can get Version 3 done quickly.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA 92408