Re: [exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim 4.60 & SpamAssassin 3.1.0 Problems
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:21:16 -0500
"Bradley Walker" <bawalker@???> wrote:

> I'm writing this list in regards to an issue that has developed after
> I upgraded to Exim 4.60. After upgrading to 4.60 I also upgraded to
> SpamAssassin 3.1.0 so as to continue offering my webhosting customers
> the best spam protection I could. However within hours of making
> this upgrade customers started calling me nonstop that their email
> "wasn't working".

I think you need to show us relevant bits of your Exim config (or the
whole config if it's not too big, with comments stripped if you're
posting it to the list.)

> 421 Lost incoming connection
> The SMTP transaction started in line 0.
> The error was detected in line 3.
> 2006-01-10 23:05:23 1EwX9q-00060G-ML <test-address@???>:
> spamcheck transport output: An error was detected while processing a
> file of BSMTP input.

OK, so I'm guessing you're accepting everything, passing the messages
to SpamAssassin via a router and then reinjecting into Exim? Do you
really end up with the messages in BSMTP format?

Is there a strong reason why you're doing this as opposed to doing the
scanning at SMTP time using Exim's built-in Content Scanning Extension?

> Does ANYONE have any ideas on what direction to take??!

1. send us your config

2. do the scanning using content scanning extensions if you can, it's
better anyway

3. as a temporary measure, using "temp_errors = *" on your transport
that pipes the mail to spamassassin might help to stop the incoming
messages actually bouncing and make them stick on your queue instead.

Tim