RE: [exim] Irritating blank messages

Autor: Herb Martin
A: exim-users
Assumpte: RE: [exim] Irritating blank messages
> From: Sam Michaels
> On 1/9/06, Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks@???> wrote:
> >
> > Recognising that Date: and From: are required by RFC2822, I
> can't see that
> > the above would be an 'unsafe' test .. can anyone else see
> any potential
> > difficulties?
>

> That was part of my spam checks but had to disable it because
> Microsoft
> Outlook is not RFC compliant in that respect. I haven't
> actually checked to
> see where it's failing, but one of these directives--although
> correct RFC
> wise--will bounce legit mails from Outlook:
>
> deny
>     message     = Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
>     log_message = message headers fail syntax check
>     !verify     = header_syntax

> deny
>     message     = Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
>     log_message = missing message headers
>     !hosts      = +relay_from_hosts
>     !senders    = :
>     condition   = ${if or {{!def:h_Message-ID:}{!def:h_Date:}}
> {true}{false}}

> Never bounces email from any other client...only MS Outlook.

My suggestion is that such similar messages always be
given a unique identifier (suffix) so that they can
be disambiguated:

  message     = Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard (syntax)
  message     = Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard (missing)

Too often, I found that similar problems were
indistinguishable and thus started using keywords
or sequential numbered IDs on such messages.

--
Herb