Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Bill Hacker
To: exim
Betreff: Re: [exim] Maildir, mysql database, and creating home dirs
Derrick MacPherson wrote:

> Our exim config does not contain the create_directory for the appendfile
> driver yet I'm seeing in the debug out:
>
> ensuring maildir directories exist in /home/dlm/Maildir/
> created directory /home/dlm/Maildir/
> created directory /home/dlm/Maildir//tmp
> created directory /home/dlm/Maildir//new
> created directory /home/dlm/Maildir//cur
>

> 2 questions, how is this being created?

Exim is (among other things) a largely 'drop-in' replacement for sendmail.

Ergo, unless you specifically furnish directions as to what sort of
storage, location,
UID:GID & perms you wish it to have (which may be DB-derived, as
illustrated by another answer)
it will set up a legacy 'Unix' mail structure. Not just for the
'general' case, but for any case where it has no other options specified.

Whether that is in /home or /var depends on your OS and its configuration.

> It's being created with 700
> perms on the home dir, so the first mail gets delivered, but any mail
> after fails.

UID:GID mismatch?

If/as/when you have what you need in the router/transport sets to handle all
permitted users, the above behaviour should cease.

If, OTOH, you accept 'traffic' w/o specifying (in even a rare case) where to
store it, the above may still occur periodically, and you may need to
look for a 'hole' in your
router/transport sets.

This can be as simple as quite correct code, but routers arranged in a
sequence you do not really want,
or - for SQL-driven instances, the DB returning results you do not expect.

> I will try when the servers not so busy the directory_mode,
> I assume that will fix it, ya? If needed I'll post the config to people
> off list.

With the other examples posted, some test traffic, and a bit of
detective work, you can probably find the problem now.

HTH,

Bill Hacker