Re: [exim] mandate ehlo before mail while sending out email

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: John W. Baxter
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] mandate ehlo before mail while sending out email
On 1/5/06 7:09 PM, "Gilbert W" <gilbert.debian@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> 1 of my client sent an email to hallmarklabels.com but he didn't succeed.
>
> Here's what the log said:
> 2006-01-05 17:49:32 1EuRhL-0005l7-SW ** <sender@???>R=dnslookup
> T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<
> recipient@???>: host uk2mxarray4.uk2.net [83.170.64.217]:
> 550-EHLO/HEL0 argument (localhost) must be a syntactically-valid\n550
> fully-qualified domain name or address literal

The key there is "syntactically-valid". The easy way is the fully-qualified
domain name of the machine initiating the SMTP connection. The old
[ip-address] alternative was intended for machines which couldn't know their
name for some reason. That's now not common any more for real servers, but
routine for mail programs on consumer machines.

> Therefore, i have 2 questions
> 1) does EXIM by default use EHLO/HELO before MAIL command when sending out
> mails ?

Yes. It has to, or *nobody* will listen. You need to be sure that Exim
knows what name to use. On Debian using the configuration program from
Debian, I have no idea how to do that, and you'll likely get better answers
from the Debian mailing list for Exim, whose particulars are repeated many
times in the Debian releases.

> 2) if not, how can i mandate it to issue EHLO/HELO before MAIL?

No need. In fact, you can't stop it (without lots of effort).