Re: [exim] mandate ehlo before mail while sending out email

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Gilbert W
To: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] mandate ehlo before mail while sending out email
On 1/6/06, John W. Baxter <jwblist@???> wrote:
> On 1/5/06 7:09 PM, "Gilbert W" <gilbert.debian@???> wrote:
>
> > Here's what the log said:
> > 2006-01-05 17:49:32 1EuRhL-0005l7-SW ** <sender@???>R=dnslookup
> > T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<
> > recipient@???>: host uk2mxarray4.uk2.net [83.170.64.217]:
> > 550-EHLO/HEL0 argument (localhost) must be a syntactically-valid\n550
> > fully-qualified domain name or address literal
>
> The key there is "syntactically-valid". The easy way is the fully-qualified
> domain name of the machine initiating the SMTP connection. The old
> [ip-address] alternative was intended for machines which couldn't know their
> name for some reason. That's now not common any more for real servers, but
> routine for mail programs on consumer machines.

> > 1) does EXIM by default use EHLO/HELO before MAIL command when sending out
> > mails ?
>
> Yes. It has to, or *nobody* will listen. You need to be sure that Exim
> knows what name to use. On Debian using the configuration program from
> Debian, I have no idea how to do that, and you'll likely get better answers
> from the Debian mailing list for Exim, whose particulars are repeated many
> times in the Debian releases.

Thank you.

i tried telnet to this server, uk2mxarray4.uk2.net, and issued EHLO
command. Then i could get through the RCPT .. therefore i suspect my
mail server doesn't EHLO/HELO before MAIL .. correct me if i'm wrong.

i only got "smtp_active_hostname" set to my FQDN of my server.
what can i do to fix this ?