[exim] General LDAP questions

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Christian Schmidt
To: exim-users
Betreff: [exim] General LDAP questions
Hello exim-users,

happy new year to all of you!

In the near future, I'll be concerned with setting up two small servers one
of which will be responsible for smtp services using exim.
The other one will do file serving for some windows clients. I'm just
playing around a little bit with LDAP and got it working with samba.

What I'd like to achieve is that I have to care for only one userdb
(stored in the LDAP directory) which is "located" on the samba server.

I know that exim can use an LDAP "backend", too. What I do not know
is: Given that I configure the mail servers "base system" in a way
that it authenticates against the LDAP server, how must I configure
exim in this case?
Does exim "automatically" get the information on (e.g) local users via
"system calls" that return data from LDAP queries done by the
underlying mechanisms?
Or do I have to configure exim in a way that exim itself queries the
LDAO directory?

=> I'm looking for the easiest way to share information on local
users, their mailboxes etc. between two machines one of which "holds"
the information.

Or would it be easier to write some shell scripts that share
passwd, shadow and group files between the machines?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Christian Schmidt

--
Keine Frau trägt gerne ein Kleid, das eine andere abgelegt hat. Mit
Männern ist sie nicht so wählerisch.