[exim] exim-new-users - documentation

Autor: Jason Meers
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [exim] exim-new-users - documentation
Hi all,

I am currently writing some tutorials for users who are new to exim or
converters from other MTAs. The last time I posted about this many of
you said that a new users shouldn't be encouraged to use exim unless
they had read all of the required RFCs.

I don't think anyone is seriously going to sit down and read EVERY
relevant RFC before installing an OS and MTA, but I also agree that it
shouldn't be attempted "blind" either.

network security (firewalls, NAT, private networks etc...) and the RFCs.

However I now need the lists help to decide what particular sections of
RFCs are deemed to be:

"essential knowledge"    shouldn't even install exim without it

"core knowledge"     just enough to run a "private" standalone server

"desired knowledge"    bare minimum before opening smtp on the firewall

(I am primarily covering SMTP in my tutorials but I also use Dovecot for
POP3 and IMAP)

Feel free to change my category names if you can suggest better, but
please could we reach a consensus on a "realistic" level of knowledge we
would like a "new-user" or "converter" to have before using a tutorial
to build an exim box.

Thanks

Jason Meers