Re: [exim] exim called in perl scripts

Autor: Kjetil Torgrim Homme
A: Alan J. Flavell
CC: Exim users list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] exim called in perl scripts
On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 12:35 +0000, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, p cooper wrote:
>
> > I want to run this perl script ( FWIW scans logfiles just before
> > they are rotated ) from a bash script called from logrotate ,
> > running as root .
>
> I think my best advice to you would be "stop wanting that".
>
> Casually running random service scripts as root is far too fraught
> with imponderable security issues. Choose almost *any* alternative
> solution.

oh, come on. sending e-mail as the root user is a common occurence, it
happens every day, e.g., whenever crond needs to report something. the
problem is NOT that sendmail (aka Exim) is started by root, but that
final delivery happens as root. in a typical configuration, that means
the root-alias is non-existing. however, the OP did have

# Well-known aliases -- these should be filled in!
 root:          paul

so I'm not sure what was actually the cause of his problems. I guess a
test run with "exim -d -bt root" could be enlightening.
--
Kjetil T.