Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for host…

Autor: Bill
A: Jeremy Harris
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] strange log entries: no IP address found for host smtp05.host.com (during SMTP connection from NULL)
Hey Jeremy,
Thanks for the quick response.
Sorry, I neglected to mention that I had substituted "host.com" for
the real SMTP server domain... out of habit, I suppose. I was more
focused on the errors in the logs and what a NULL value might mean in
the log entry. For that matter, I was mostly concerned about the
other entries I noted that actually had various IP's and hostnames.

Anyway, I wasn't sure that it was important, but if it makes a
difference, the real hostname is smtp05.dc2.safesecureweb.com. Before
you try, I can tell you that this server does not currently resolve
any DNS. When we added these servers to our SMTP configs last week,
they all resolved A records, but smtp05-08 no longer return any DNS
records at all (smtp01-04 still resolve just fine). I'm not sure why;
we don't control these servers. They just stopped resolving later
that same day.

However, this brings up another question. If I still have smtp05-08
in my "relay_from_hosts" list, why am I getting these strange errors
in my logs? Is this some sort of exploit or an "anomaly" in the code?

Thanks for your help!
-Bill