Re: [exim] Please help with getting out of RBL hell

Autor: Jason W.
A: exim-list
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Please help with getting out of RBL hell
On 12/3/05, Tony Godshall <togo@???> wrote:

> > Welcome to the reality of life.. If you decide to live in a
>
> Sorry to say this, but you sound like one of those cops in
> the suburban white neighborhood who blocked, with

I also said I am a Comcast user as well, so that analogy is not valid.
I am in the same boat as everybody else runing an MTA on a dynamic IP.
The only difference is I understand that an MTA on a dynamic IP does
NOT have the right to speak to every other mail server directly... In
fact, your mail server has no right whatsoever to speak to any other
MTA except your smarthost that you pay for - that is a privilege and
should be treated as such. There's an expression for this, "My server,
my rules"

You've mentioned that you think your DNS should protect you. Do you
mean your reverse DNS? If that is the case, then people using reverse
DNS checks to block dynamic IP's won't block you. DNSBL's will still
get you tho - it is your ISP's responsibility to tell the blacklist
operators that your IP is not dynamic any more.

On my MTA which accepts connections from port 25 from the world and
sends mail via a smarthost, you must have FCrDNS to send me mail.
Forward Confirmed Reverse DNS means the IP connecting to me must have
a PTR record that resolves to some name and that name should resolve
to the same IP that connects to me. I do this because I can block by
domain and not have to block by IP's and play whack-a-mole. Sure I get
false positives from people I need to speak with. But they learn their
server doesn't have rDNS and so it should be fixed. Some can't do that
and I have to whitelist them.

But there is no way that I will accept mail from ANY machine with
generic rdns like pcp486767pc.xx.comcast.net. I also do not expect
people to accept mail from me if I do not use my smarthost..

Does anyone know of a software-agnostic list this sort of topic might
be better on? Seems OT for exim-users.

--
HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

Jason