Re: [exim] Please help with getting out of RBL hell

Autor: Tony Godshall
A: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-list
Assumptes nous: domain hosted on a static cable-modem address [was Re: [exim] Please help with getting out of RBL hell]
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Please help with getting out of RBL hell
According to Matthew Byng-Maddick,
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 11:25:08PM -0800, Tony Godshall wrote:
> > According to Jason W.,
> >> Welcome to the reality of life.. If you decide to live in a
> >> neighborhood known for crime, don't be surprised if you're labeled a
> >> criminal at some point...

> > Sorry to say this, but you sound like one of those cops in
> > the suburban white neighborhood who blocked, with shotguns,
> > the refugees fleeing New Orleans ...

> This isn't really a helpful statement. Once upon a time, it did happen like
> that. The current situation is a response to the unbelievably high volumes
> of crap emitted from these unsecured and un-virus-checked 24/7-connected
> home PCs...

I respectfully submit that a machine running *nix with
proper DNS and SPF should not be lumped in with "unsecured
and un-virus-checked". I don't get what IP-checking gets
you that DNS/SPF-checking doesn't. Are you arguing that it
takes a lot more CPU?

> ... This is not racism, this is reality, more's the pity.

Indeed I did not say it *was*, I just said the arguments are
similar. In this case it might be called "corporatism"- that
only large organizations with the resources to buy the "right
kind" of connections may host domains.

> This discussion has been had to death many times. I'm afraid that if you want
> to host your domain on a residential cable/dsl line, then you have to live
> with the consequences...

Well, my machine is in my residence, but it's the extra-special
"small business" plan that has the static IP address. Where do
you draw the line?

> If your IP is dynamic, forget it, as there's little to
> no traceability that I have, ...

My IP is not dynamic, but it may well be in the middle of a
dynamic block. Those who block me on this basis are f**kin
corporatists ;-P

> if it's static, that's a bit better, but why should I trust
> you any more than the compromised windows boxes on either side
> of you by IP?

Uh, because my DNS records point to it. I haven't seen any
virus or worm that can do that.

Well, like you say, the discussion here doesn't matter much.
The market will takes its toll, both on ISPs that overblock
and on ISPs that undersecure. Some people are learning that
there are advantages to having your e-mail separate from
your pipe, which makes it easier to switch and harder for
ISPs to hold people by intertia.