Re: [exim] Losing Mails

Autor: Bill Hacker
A: exim
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Losing Mails
Merlin Hartley wrote:

> Hi Bill et al.
>
> Thanks for those logging tips!
>
> I should point out that this user is successfully receiving many mails
> every day - and there are just a troublesome 6. All of which are to
> these 2 users: someone and otherone - we have about 120 other active
> users, with no such errors.
>
> Test messages to 'someone' which get redirected to 'otherone' (his PA)
> always get delivered; and test messages to 'otherone' always seem to
> work - regardless of the ownership on that
> '/usr/lists/Users/away/otherone' file.
>

> Thanks again
>

> Merlin
>

> Bill Hacker wrote:

*trimmed*

Intermittent anomalies are very much the situation for which we use a
heavily-instrumented configure.

Exim has perhaps the best 'debug' and test tools of any MTA, but the
developers can only read 'mostly-sane' minds....
(if there are any such *left* in the mailadmin world!)

- they have no way of anticipating what weird and wonderful test
conditions the rest of us may put into acl string matching or
black/white lists. Or - more often, a perfectly sound acl that has
simply been placed in the wrong smtp phase or in the wrong sequence
within a phase for what it was intended to do.

Heavy logging pays off - and can be backed out of in stages.

Likewise 'unseen' in routers, and 'fakereject' in acl's to grab copies
of problematic traffic for analysis *before* userland throws a fit...
grep to home-in on it, then 'lynx' to walk the mail-store and see what
it looked like w/o disturbing anything.
'cp' any 'should have passed' messages right into place so a 'lost'
message is NOT lost while fixing the problem.

Cheap enough to store a lot of 'maybe' files until we are certain all is
well.

HTH,

Bill