Re: [exim] 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

Autor: Magnus Holmgren
A: exim-users
CC: Markus Braun
Assumpte: Re: [exim] 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
Markus Braun wrote:
> i have now the same problem since for 2 weeks. Now i cant send emails i
> get a mail back with this text:
>
> 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA

You get bounces from that same brain-dead MTA that won't tell you the
details. Can you send mail directly to your server instead? And again,
look in /var/log/exim4/mainlog. And use exim4 -bt address@domain to test.

> Now in my /etc/exim4/vexim-acl-check-content.conf
>
> deny    message       = DNSBL listed at $dnslist_domain\n$dnslist_text
>      dnslists      = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org:list.dsbl.org:dynablock.njabl.org

> accept
>
>       authenticated = *
> Looks like this.

> Is this correct?

Maybe. It's not outright incorrect, but it depends on the other rules
whether it works as intended. I would put "accept authenticated = *"
above the dnsbl check.

> Is this also correct, that the exim4.conf is in the /etc/exim4 ?

Yes. Just to be sure, run exim4 -bV and check that it says
"Configuration file is /etc/exim4/exim4.conf".

--
Magnus Holmgren