Re: [exim] Exim4 & IPV4

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Exim4 & IPV4
Philip Hazel wrote:

> If, on the other hand, you think it's a design error, then, well, yes,
> it's a hack, and most hacks are in some sense "design errors".

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. What I think would be ideal is a
single main section config entry to disable all ipv6 support.

> Of course, the hard-line approach is "If you don't want IPv6
> facilities, why are you running an Exim binary that was compiled with
> IPv6 support?" But, sigh, I can see why people get into that
> situation...

Well, in my case, it's because that's how my distro compiled it. Given
that a couple hacks are adequate to turn it off, I have everything
working just fine, and see no need to recompile.

As far as I'm concerned, the only outstanding issue here is a
documentation/clarity one; the three config settings required to disable
ipv6 support (if you count local_interfaces) are not all that obvious to
people who don't know what they're looking for, as this thread can
attest. A single setting would simplify things for newbies.

- Marc