Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication

Autor: Latrell
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication

> On 28 Nov 2005 at 18:02, Latrell wrote about
>     "[exim] Problem with smtp authentica":

> | I have a problem with smtp authentication.
>
> Not that I can see.
>
> | When I use mail command to send mail, I got the following error msg:
> | SMTP>> AUTH LOGIN
> | SMTP<< 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
> | SMTP>> ********
> | SMTP<< 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
> | SMTP>> ************
> | SMTP<< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful.
> | SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<root@Latrell> SIZE=1350 AUTH=root@Latrell
> | SMTP>> RCPT TO:<latrell@???>
> | SMTP>> DATA
> | SMTP<< 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to Send As this

sender.
> | SMTP>> QUIT
> |
> | It seems my authentication to mail server is successful.
>
> Yes. So your problem is not with authentication.
> yes, it seems a sender prolem now.
> | However, when I use root@Latrell as a sender to send mail,
> | if failed because it doesn't match username/passwd I provided to the

mail server.

> What makes you think that that is the reason?
> If I use exim -f <usrname_on_mail_server@???>

dest@??? , the mail can be sent.
Any other name else can't be sent.
> | Using root@Latrell (I user root to login to my machine "Latrell") is not

> | valid sender, thus it complained I can't use it as this sender.
>
> That seems more likely. It also seems like a very good reason to
> reject the message.
>
> | Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Maybe we have two aspects:
> | 1. pass sender check
>
> You could bypass whatever part of the RCPT ACL is causing the
> rejection (most likely a verify = sender) for authenticated sessions,
> but IMHO that would be a Bad Idea.

Isn't ACL concerned about incoming mail? Am I thinking wrong?
Is ACL has anything to do about sending a mail?

> | 2. provide sender the same as username/passwd I provided to mail server.
>
> Put another way, provide a valid address as sender. That's the right
> answer.
>
> | How can I do if any of the two aspects workable? Can I rewrite MAIL FROM

address?

> Why can't you just configure the MUA or script you are using to send
> the message to specify a valid sender address? I don't see any
> reason to try to work around your broken client in exim.
>
> | Thanks in advance. Any idea will all be appreciated.
> | My exim.conf about authentication is as follows:
>
> What we needed to see is the ACL that's causing the rejection
> (acl_check_rcpt).
>
> - Fred

Hi, Fred:

I'm appreciated with your reply.
Yesterday I add return_path=usrname_on_mail_server@???, and I can
see the sender check is ok.
However, the same error shown eventually.
Here is the message.
SMTP>> AUTH LOGIN

SMTP<< 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
SMTP>> ********

SMTP<< 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
SMTP>> ************

SMTP<< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful.
SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<usrname_on_mail_server@???> SIZE=1343

AUTH=root@Latrell
SMTP>> RCPT TO:<dest@??? >
SMTP>> DATA

SMTP<< 250 2.1.0 usrname_on_mail_server@???....Sender OK
SMTP<< 250 2.1.5 dest@???
SMTP<< 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."

SMTP<< 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to Send As this sender.
SMTP>> QUIT

I don't know what cause the error in that I've passed the sender check. Exim
only used as a client to authenticate remote mail server,
and then send mails. I will never use exim to be a server to receive mails.

The following is my ACL part:
 begin acl
    acl_check_rcpt:
      accept  hosts = :
      deny    domains       = +local_domains
              local_parts   = ^[.] : ^.*[@%!/|]
      deny    domains       = !+local_domains
              local_parts   = ^[./|] : ^.*[@%!] : ^.*/\\.\\./
      accept  local_parts   = postmaster
              domains       = +local_domains
      require verify        = sender
      accept  domains       = +local_domains
             endpass
              verify        = recipient
      accept  domains       = +relay_to_domains
              endpass
              verify        = recipient
      accept  hosts         = +relay_from_hosts
      accept  authenticated = *
      deny    message       = relay not permitted
Please points out the mastakes.
Thanks for your help again.

Best.
Latrell.