Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication

Autor: Fred Viles
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Problem with smtp authentication
On 28 Nov 2005 at 18:02, Latrell wrote about
    "[exim] Problem with smtp authentica":

| I have a problem with smtp authentication.

Not that I can see.

| When I use mail command to send mail, I got the following error msg:
| SMTP>> AUTH LOGIN
| SMTP<< 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
| SMTP>> ********
| SMTP<< 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
| SMTP>> ************
| SMTP<< 235 2.7.0 Authentication successful.
| SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<root@Latrell> SIZE=1350 AUTH=root@Latrell
| SMTP>> RCPT TO:<latrell@???>
| SMTP>> DATA
| SMTP<< 454 5.7.3 Client does not have permission to Send As this sender.
| SMTP>> QUIT
|
| It seems my authentication to mail server is successful.

Yes. So your problem is not with authentication.

| However, when I use root@Latrell as a sender to send mail,
| if failed because it doesn't match username/passwd I provided to the mail server.

What makes you think that that is the reason?

| Using root@Latrell (I user root to login to my machine "Latrell") is not a
| valid sender, thus it complained I can't use it as this sender.

That seems more likely. It also seems like a very good reason to
reject the message.

| Does anyone know how to fix the problem? Maybe we have two aspects:
| 1. pass sender check

You could bypass whatever part of the RCPT ACL is causing the
rejection (most likely a verify = sender) for authenticated sessions,
but IMHO that would be a Bad Idea.

| 2. provide sender the same as username/passwd I provided to mail server.

Put another way, provide a valid address as sender. That's the right
answer.

| How can I do if any of the two aspects workable? Can I rewrite MAIL FROM address?

Why can't you just configure the MUA or script you are using to send
the message to specify a valid sender address? I don't see any
reason to try to work around your broken client in exim.

| Thanks in advance. Any idea will all be appreciated.
| My exim.conf about authentication is as follows:

What we needed to see is the ACL that's causing the rejection
(acl_check_rcpt).

- Fred