Re: [exim] My solution to the Debian Problem.

Autor: John Hall
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] My solution to the Debian Problem.
On 09/11/05, Dave Restall - System Administrator,,, <dave@???> wrote:

> I have been running Exim on Debian for a few years and apart from the
> initial install, I have always used an in-house version built from source.
> I have seen a few messages on this list regarding problems with Exim on
> Debian and in the main I don't encounter them simply because I am using
> a standard source and standard install. I have put together a draft
> document :-
>
> <http://www.iirc.net/build_exim_from_source_on_debian.html>
>
> that details how I build Exim on Debian.

Dave,

Using equivs as you suggest is the way I install and run Exim on
Debian, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

However, I think most of the Debian discussion on this list and the
main difference between vanilla Exim and Debian Exim is the difference
in the way configuration files are managed, in that by default Debian
uses a split configuration with lots of snippets in lots of files.

Either pointing people to the Debian Exim mailing list or showing them
how to use a single, monolithic configuration file (which I understand
is quite easy) would perhaps be an easier way forward for most people.

Regards,
John