Re: [exim] remote eximon?

Autor: Christian Schmidt
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] remote eximon?
Hello OpenMacNews,

OpenMacNews, 17.10.2005 (d.m.y):

> > Eximon is an X application. X talks perfectly well over IP.

[..]
> but, never having done this b4 from my Mac, my Q: is just --
>
> is there a simple howto 'here'? perhaps one that specifically addresses by example setting
> up/ensuring gen'l-config/security/look-n-feel/etc for exim, or is it off to google for general
> remote X-apps-over-IP?

It's as easy as starting a mac application:
Just launch X11 on your Mac. That fires up a terminal, too. Feed that
terminal with "ssh -X yourname@???", log in and call
eximon.
A little later your Mac should show the eximon window.

Yor Mac now serves as "display" for the remote machine [1]. What the remte
host wants to be painted on the screen, is tunnelled throug your ssh
connection, and your local hardware does the job of painting dots and
lines on your monitor.

Regards & enjoy it,
Christian

[1] When refferring to remote X stuff, "server" and "client" change
    their usual places: The X Server is what is standing right infront
    of you and drawing stuff onto your monitor while the X Client is
    the software that takes use of this service to be "displayed".
    In this case, eximon is the X Client, and your Mac's X-Server is
    the server (as "X-Server" says).
--
So wie das Ohr Verhältnisse mißt, so berechnet vielleicht die Zunge
Flächen von Körpern.