Re: [exim] remote eximon?

Autor: John W. Baxter
A: exim-users @ exim. org
Assumpte: Re: [exim] remote eximon?
On 10/17/05 1:07 PM, "OpenMacNews" <openmacnews@???> wrote:

> hi jeremy,
>
>>> can someone perhaps 'point' to a howto for using eximon to monitor a
>>> remote exim server?
>>
>> Eximon is an X application. X talks perfectly well over IP.
>>
>> Personally, I use an ssh connection with X shipping, but
>> that's not required.
>
> clear.
>
> but, never having done this b4 from my Mac, my Q: is just --
>
> is there a simple howto 'here'? perhaps one that specifically addresses by
> example setting
> up/ensuring gen'l-config/security/look-n-feel/etc for exim, or is it off to
> google for general
> remote X-apps-over-IP?

Step 1 is to install X11 in your Mac OS X setup, if you have not. It comes
on the Mac OS X installation CDs (starting, I think, with 10.2) but it is
not installed by the default installation.

You should probably run Software Update after doing the install, as some of
the recent security updates have dealt with X11 issues (among other things).

Then, some or all of these may help:
(title Running X Window System applications)
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1833.html
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1624.html
(refers one to the X11 web site for details)
(Which points out that certain applications need ssh -Y rather than ssh -X
in the ssh connection to the machine running the applications. eximon isn't
listed, but that doesn't prove that it isn't one of the applications in
question.)

For a current list of Apple documents, go to Support on the Apple web site
and search for X11 (which is how I extracted the above).

--John