Re: [exim] when are exim vars first available? and ...

Autor: Marc Sherman
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] when are exim vars first available? and ...
Philip Hazel wrote:

> Would that really help? There is an index entry "expansion variables,
> list of" already. Maybe re-wording that somehow? I don't really like
> "expansion variables, definition of", however, because 11.9 does not
> define what expansion variables are; it just lists those that exist.
> Maybe "expansion variables, list and descriptions of"?

No, I meant indexing the individual variables -- ie: an index entry
"local_part" that points to the local_part definition, similar to the
way individual options are indexed in the routers and transports. There
are a number of cases where there are similarly named concepts that
exist as an ACL option, a router and/or transport option, and as an
expansion variable, and it would be nice to see them all near each other
in the index, which is usually the first place I look when I'm looking
for something in the docs.

> The next edition of the manual is going to be prepared by the new
> method, using XML. The PS/PDF version's index will be by page, as
> before, but the HTML index will point only to the section (i.e. to 11.9)
> because that's what the processing software does.

Does that apply to the options on routers/transports only being indexed
to the "Private options for XXX" section header? If so, I think that's
a pretty big regression, IMO. Being able to link to a specific option
is very useful when answering questions on this list. Can the
processing software not support a third level of section heading, which
renders without numbers, and can be used for option and variable headings?

> I suppose, with a lot of work, I could put in an index entry for every
> time a specific variable is mentioned in the manual. Perhaps it would be
> worth doing that work.

That would be overkill, IMO.

- Marc