Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...

Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...
On 29 Sep 2005 at 18:10, Niclas Hedhman wrote about
    "Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...":

| On Thursday 29 September 2005 16:45, Odhiambo G. Washington wrote:

| Arrogant sarcasm isn't appreciated, and if that is the general tone of this
| community I won't stay long. That said...

We won't miss you, I think. That said...

| > > Now, authenticated SMTP no longer works, no matter what I try.
| >
| > What did you try? What do you see in mainlog related to the problem?
|
| Well, that depends on which combo of encryption and authentication that is
| tried from the client. Minimum expected was SSL + PLAIN which gives the
| following...
|
| 2005-09-29 09:43:06 no host name found for IP address 219.94.56.25

There is no "reverse DNS" set up for this address. IOW, there is no
PTR record named 25.56.94.219.in-addr.arpa. Unless your config does
something different in such cases (like introducing an intentional
delay), this message is just informational and is not related to your
problems.

| 2005-09-29 09:43:06 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error (input sent
| without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from H=[219.94.56.25]
| input="\200g\001\003"

As already pointed out, this looks like a client config issue. The
client appears to be trying SSL-on-connect to a port (25?) that you
haven't configured that way.

| And client says the server closed the connection.
|
| If I set No Encryption + PLAIN I get;
| 2005-09-29 09:44:44 no host name found for IP address 219.94.56.25
| and the client says the server doesn't support PLAIN authentication
| (expected).

| For TLS+PLAIN I get the message from the client that TLS is not supported, and
| the same "no host name found"

And nothing further? The interesting log lines, if any, would follow
that one.

Your -Bv output shows you have GNUtls support compiled in, so
STARTTLS *should* be advertised. If you telnet to your server and
issue an EHLO, what do you get in response? If STARTTLS is included,
this seems like a client issue.

- Fred