Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...

Author: Marc Sherman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> 2005-09-29 09:43:06 no host name found for IP address 219.94.56.25
> 2005-09-29 09:43:06 SMTP protocol violation: synchronization error
> (input sent without waiting for greeting): rejected connection from
> H=[219.94.56.25] input="\200g\001\003"

That looks like you're connecting with TLS-on-connect (ie: old style
SSL) to an unencrypted port that expects STARTTLS to turn on encryption.

> For TLS+PLAIN I get the message from the client that TLS is not
> supported, and the same "no host name found"

The client is claiming it doesn't support TLS? It looks like your
upgrade to KMail broke the client, then. Either install a working
KMail, or configure your exim to run TLS-on-connect on port 465:

> daemon_smtp_ports = 25 : 465
> tls_on_connect_ports = 465

Please apologize to Wash and send the appropriate log messages and
details of what's failing next time you ask for free support: