Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Niclas Hedhman
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Upgrade blues...
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Arrogant sarcasm isn't appreciated, and if that is the general tone of this
> community I won't stay long. That said...

It isn't. However, the community (a) is a busy one and (b) contains
plenty of people whose first language is not English. You may have seen
sarcasm where it was not intended.

> > > I recently did the mistake of upgrading both my KMail client (to v1.7)
> > > and Exim4 (whatever version is in Debian testing)...
> >
> > Mistake?

I read that as shorthand for "Why do you say that was a mistake?".

> Well, I thought I can't have been the only one who use 'stock Debian'
> configurations, which stopped working after an upgrade. I expected a "Oh,
> that is because we have introduce XYZ, and you will need to enable/disable
> the parameter ABC" or something like that.

You'll need to consult Debian experts for that kind of comment. There is
a separate mailing list that was set up for Debian users[*], because the
'stock Debian' configurations are so very different from what is
distributed with Exim. Non-Debian-ites don't feel they can help Debian
users.

[*] Sorry, I can't offhand remember the details, but no doubt somebody
will post them.