Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Adam Funk wrote:
> So you don't run logcheck and don't want output from cron or at jobs? I
> think that's unusual among Debian users.

    No logcheck and on a *desktop* machine know how much I use cron and at?
Tha answer lies somewhere between -1 and 1 and has no decimal place.

>>Even mutt, the current MUA de jour of the
>>die-hard unixeistas has it's own primative queuing in place in case of
>>MTA failure.

> Good point, but that mail is still going to sit there *until* the MTA
> starts working again. I thought you were arguing against the necessity
> of having one there at all?

    If you read carefully I constantly say "no matter what the interface used
to connect to it."  That's the cluebat sized hint that SMTP is an interface
which could fail.  If one handles failures for SMTP, as one must, then one
could just as easily handle failures for a local MTA.

    A basic queue != "MTA functionality".  Sorry.