Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Adam Funk wrote:
> That tenet is respected in the Unix tradition by using distinct tools that
> have well-defined, debuggable interfaces between them (e.g. SMTP and
> sendmail's handling of stdin).

    Ah yes, SMTP.  And when that fails.  Like the network isn't connectable?
Do we just throw the message away.  "Sorry, the remote queue isn't available,
we'll just /dev/null it and have you guess at why your cron job didn't work.
G'luck!"

> Without it, the batch job mail will be from and to
> userid@???, which is probably not the right
> address for receiving it or for replies and bounces.

    Call me crazy but I generally configure the programs so mail is
deliverable to the proper person.  10 years, not one address rewrite.  Address
rewriting isn't need to do that, it is only the most difficult and needless
way to do it.