Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Adam Funk
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
On Wednesday 28 September 2005 14:23, Steve Lamb wrote:

(Apologies if this is getting too OT!)

> > The "desktop" of a typical Debian user will probably involve
> > functions that require an MTA of some kind.
>
>     Mine certainly doesn't and I don't think I that far beyond the
> pale.

So you don't run logcheck and don't want output from cron or at jobs? I
think that's unusual among Debian users.

>     Why should I when the program has to handle failure anyway?  The
> argument always seems to be "The MTA can handle failures."  OK, and
> when the MTA fails what, the program sending mail is just supposed to
> route it to /dev/null?

You could make that argument about syslogd or any other service!

> Even mutt, the current MUA de jour of the
> die-hard unixeistas has it's own primative queuing in place in case of
> MTA failure.

Good point, but that mail is still going to sit there *until* the MTA
starts working again. I thought you were arguing against the necessity
of having one there at all?

>     That's exactly what I said.  Those who prefer Exim can still
> install it with the nominal expense of having to do a quick
> apt-get|aptitude.  This is different in how it is now where
> apt-get|aptitude automatically install it. Hence... nominal expense.
> :)

Sorry, I misread it the first time.