Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Adam Funk wrote:
> The "desktop" of a typical Debian user will probably involve functions
> that require an MTA of some kind.

    Mine certainly doesn't and I don't think I that far beyond the pale.

> Why the heck wouldn't you just install an MTA?

    Why should I when the program has to handle failure anyway?  The argument
always seems to be "The MTA can handle failures."  OK, and when the MTA fails
what, the program sending mail is just supposed to route it to /dev/null?
Even mutt, the current MUA de jour of the die-hard unixeistas has it's own
primative queuing in place in case of MTA failure.

>>    There's a whole 9 places difference between Exim4 installs, which
>>is by default, and people who rip Exim4 out in favor of Postfix.  If
>>moving to nullmailer means it keeps the low-end functionality intact
>>and makes it easier for those who choose Exim on Debian to interact
>>with the larger Exim community at the nominal expense of having to do a
>>quick [apt-get|aptitude] install exim4-daemon[-light|-heavy] I'd say
>>it's worth consideration.  :)

> Why wouldn't Debian users who prefer exim still be able to apt-get|
> aptitude it easily? There are packages for a variety of MTAs, all easy
> to install the Debian way.

    That's exactly what I said.  Those who prefer Exim can still install it
with the nominal expense of having to do a quick apt-get|aptitude.  This is
different in how it is now where apt-get|aptitude automatically install it.
Hence... nominal expense.  :)