Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Re: Debian exim
Adam Funk wrote:
> By building an MTA's functions into every program that needs to send mail?

    No.  Why is it everyone things basic error control is "OMG, like the
entire MTA?"  An MTA is far larger than just the queue.  Not losing the
message because the MTA isn't avaialble isn't:

filtering
dns lookups
callouts
implementing SMTP... on both sides
etc... etc... etc...

> I think a better question is: why should cron, at, mailx and all the MUAs
> independently be coded and debugged to implement the functionality that
> any one MTA can provide?

    Because the MTA could fail.  Again, just because they would be able to
handle a failure of the MTA doesn't translate into programming in an MTA.
It's quite simple, like, uhm, not deleting the message and trying again later
to the same interface.  All of a dozen lines of Python the last time I did it.