RE: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument

Author: Herb Martin
To: exim-users
Subject: RE: [exim] Exim rejects: syntactically invalid argument
> > underscores. For personal use? sure, block 'em. Corporate
> >use or paid
> > clients? I wouldn't....

> Jethro R Binks
> For what it's worth, I do, for the whole of this University.
>
> Of course there is an exceptions list, and I will send hints
> to any site asking why we won't receive their mail.
>
> There has only ever been one site on the exceptions list, and
> they gave a timescale when they would fix the problem by.
> That was a long time ago, and I see they are still on the
> list. No mail from that HELO in the last few days, so maybe
> they did fix it ...

I can imagine creating a custom ACL Deny stanza
that implements this while whitelisting some sources,
but is there a trivial way to do this in exim?

E.g., an exception to the

        helo_allow_chars       = _

Rather than something starting with

deny   !hosts = ALLOW_BAD_CHAR_HOSTS
        etc.

Actually, even if there isn't such an exception
list, it might make sense to do it the other way
around just to get rid of those such as
"HELO Bill_Gates" and such.

deny condition = ${if match{$sender_helo_name}\
                       {DENY_UNDERSCORE_HOSTS}}
           etc

--
Herb Martin