Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?

Author: Tom Kistner
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?
Stephen Gran wrote:

> bad decision to make. If you feel you have to be more cautious, then
> wish that exim was keeping the demime facility :(

Unpacking MIME and archives for AV checking has very special
requirements. The optimum being a complete emulation of Microsoft's MIME
libraries (including emulating all of its bugs). It will always be
best-effort for us. What I tried with the MIME error checking is to
provide some basic sanity, but in reality it created too much false
positives and confusion.

I recommend NOT to unpack MIME and archives. You can apply some MIME
policies using the MIME ACL, but I think that may be superflous in practice.

Leave dealing with this stuff to the AV scanners. Their authors have
gone great lengths to optimize their decoding/unpacking engines. I do
not think it is worth the effort to reinvent THAT wheel :)

/tom