Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?

Author: Stephen Gran
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] options to obsoleted 'demime'?
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 03:42:38PM -0400, Marc Sherman said:
> OpenMacNews wrote:
> >    "Clamd does not seem to unpack MIME containers, so it is recommended
> >to unpack MIME
> >    attachments in the MIME ACL"

> Like the demime option, that statement about clamav is obsolete. Clamav
> does a pretty good job at unpacking mime containers these days.
>
> - Marc

<clamav maintainer hat on>
yes and no, is my advice to you. clamav uses external libraries (libz,
libbz, etc) to assist with some parts of the unpacking. If libz can't
unpack a zip file (and libz only unpacks one type of zip file out of at
least 9 or 10 known types), then clamav won't either. If it's OK with
you to temp fail messages because of that, then I'd say rely on clamav -
all of the other types at this point are probably viral, and it's not a
bad decision to make. If you feel you have to be more cautious, then
wish that exim was keeping the demime facility :(
</hat>

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  | What passes for optimism is most often  |
|  steve@???             | the effect of an intellectual error.    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Raymond Aron, "The Opium of the      |
|                       | Intellectuals"                          |