Re: [exim] your 'favorite' exim-integrated POP retrieval?

Author: Steve Lamb
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] your 'favorite' exim-integrated POP retrieval?
OpenMacNews wrote:
> this thread began as a result of my understanding -- or
> MISunderstanding, hence this question -- of the exim wiki's comments
> abt 'fetchmail' (<http://www.exim.org/eximwiki/FAQ/Fetchmail/Q1202>),
> and the implication that exim-filtering of mail receieved thru /
> retrieved by fetchmail is not the 'best way to do things' ...

    Actually, in the context of that specific FAQ it doesn't matter what
utility you use to retrieve the message.  At some point that utility has to
inject it into Exim from the local machine which makes the local machine's
RBLs (at SMTP time) quite moot for the reasons explained in the FAQ.  I don't
believe there is any way around that problem when retrieving mail in that
manner.

> not a fetish at all. simply i'd rather all streams are routed thru /
> filtered by MY kitchen sink, rather than depending on someone else's not
> leaking ...

    This doesn't completely imply that you neex route it through exim.  Some
MUAs, for example, can push mail through many of the same filters while using
POP to retrieve the messages from multiple sources.  Sylpheed-Claws, for
example, has plugins for both Spamassassin and clamav.  In the above FAQ if
one were using SA the RBLs are checked against the proper headers regardless
of the injection point.