Re: [exim-dev] /bin/rm

Autor: Bryan Henderson
A: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] /bin/rm
>Am I the only person in the world who habitually runs with "rm" aliased
>to "rm -i"? This has saved me from disaster on a few occasions. However,
>it means that when I run build scripts that just use "rm", I have to
>remember to work round it. That is why Exim uses a full path name for
>the utility programs. I've also been caught by build scripts that fall
>apart because I have "ls" aliased to "ls -F".

I have similar aliases that would be death on make files and shell
scripts, but they don't cause me any trouble because the aliases are
set only in the interactive shell profile. Not only that, but even if
I managed to get one set for a shell script, Bash won't expand an alias
in a shell script because it doesn't make sense to do so (aliases are
for saving typing).

So why does it cause trouble for you? What shell is it, and is it possible
you just have the aliases defined in the wrong profile?

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California