Re: [exim-dev] /bin/rm

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Bryan Henderson
CC: exim-dev
Assumpte: Re: [exim-dev] /bin/rm
On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Bryan Henderson wrote:

> I have a system that doesn't have the requisite 'rm' program in
> /bin/rm. The Exim make files expect it there. There is a make
> variable RM_COMMAND, but it doesn't get used.

Oops.

> Here is a patch to the make files so they use $(RM_COMMAND) and the
> user can override it in Local/Makefile.

Thank you.

> Though I didn't change the default from /bin/rm, I believe the default
> should be "rm", so that the user's PATH gets searched in the
> conventional way.

Am I the only person in the world who habitually runs with "rm" aliased
to "rm -i"? This has saved me from disaster on a few occasions. However,
it means that when I run build scripts that just use "rm", I have to
remember to work round it. That is why Exim uses a full path name for
the utility programs. I've also been caught by build scripts that fall
apart because I have "ls" aliased to "ls -F".