Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Daniel Tiefnig
CC: exim-dev
Subject: Re: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite
On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Daniel Tiefnig wrote:

> Philip Hazel wrote:
> > Feedback is invited...
>
> So, here we go...

Thank you! Those are just the kind of problems I was expecting.

> First, I'm not sure whether running via sudo is the best option. (One
> has to configure sudo, add its user to the exim-group, and relogin to be
> able to run the tests...) Maybe ppl. should be able to run tests as
> root? You could set up some suid binaries and drop to exim-user-id after
> that. Just a thought, I didn't check the code to see whether this is
> possible...

The thing is, the test script wants to run as "you" most of the time, so
it can call Exim "as an ordinary user". Not even as the exim user. It
just needs root now and again to set things up and to do things like
remove the hints files. For that reason, sudo seemed the best solution
to me, but maybe that's because I am used to using it all the time.

The other problems look, at first glance, like things I should be able
to solve.

> Basic/0005 failes:
> | ** Subtest 4 (starting at line 36)
> | ** Return code 1 (expected 0)
>
> Stderr prints two loglines, with message:
> | re-exec of exim (/home/tiefnig/exim/exim-testsuite-0.00/eximdir/exim)\
> | with -Mc failed: Permission denied
>
> | $ ls -l /home/tiefnig/exim/exim-testsuite-0.00/eximdir/
> | total 0
>
> Hmmm.

It's empty because the script has removed the "dangerous" patched
version of Exim as it finishes. The problem is the same as one you had
earlier; the fact that your home directory isn't accessible. I think the
best solution to this is to add something to the requirements
documentation.

I'll post again when I have a new set of stuff to test.

Thanks,
Philip