[exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite

Author: Philip Hazel
To: exim-dev
Subject: [exim-dev] Preliminary testing of a new Exim test suite
I have at last started re-implementing the Exim test suite in a way that
should, with luck, make it portable and runnable on hosts other than my
personal workstation. There is still a very long way to go, but I now
have something that is worth trying, to see if the general principles
are sound. Therefore, I am seeking testers. If you would like to help,
please download

ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/email/exim/Testing/exim-testsuite-0.00.tar.bz2

and start with the README file. In order to run the test suite you need
to have root access via sudo on your host. Oh, and Perl. Full details
are in the README.

The tests assume the latest version of Exim - indeed they assume the
latest 4.53 snapshot in some cases, so if you run the suite against an
earlier version there are likely to be failures. There are some "hooks"
in Exim to assist with testing, and these may well have to be changed to
fit with the new scheme.

I'll be continuing work on this, and extending it to cover as much as I
possibly can, but as it is so preliminary, the version will probably
stay at 0.00 for a while. There are nearly 620 tests in the old suite,
and I've only coverted 51 so far.

Feedback is invited...

Thanks.
Philip