Re: [exim] newbie - where to make config changes (on debian,…

Autor: Hendrik Brueckner
A: Derek Stevenson
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] newbie - where to make config changes (on debian, for cyrus+exim)
Hello,

I have a running setup with exim 4.52 and cyrus.

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 11:57:07AM -0700, Derek Stevenson wrote:
> I also think I know what I need to add the exim config in the way of a
> new router and delivery entry...
>
> Most of the docs and mailing lists refer to editing the conf file, but
> there's no /etc/exim.conf but rather the various components broken out
> into /etc/exim4/conf.d/* directories.

Debian splits the config into small pieces.
The configuration that exim uses is /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated.
You can easily check it running `exim -bV'.

> Do I make changes in those files, which are then picked up by exim on a
> restart? Or are those used to generate a conf file that lives
> elsewhere? I've found /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated but I'm not
> sure of the relation. Is the auto file used or is it simply an example?

I suggest you to create separate files in the corresponding directories:
my setup has:
---
$ find /etc/exim4/conf.d -name \*cyrus\*
/etc/exim4/conf.d/transport/55_hb-cyrus-delivery
/etc/exim4/conf.d/router/850_hb-cyrus-local-user
---
After you created the cyrus files run:
`update-exim4.conf --keepcomments'
to recreate the /var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated file.

You might issue an additional `exim -bV' to check if the new exim
configuration does not contain syntax errors.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Hendrik Brückner

--
Mfg / Best regards / Les meilleurs salutations
Hendrik Brückner

Men are always ready to respect anything that bores them.
        -- Marilyn Monroe