Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Nigel Metheringham
Para: Simon Chappell
CC: exim-users, Graeme Fowler
Asunto: Re: [exim] HArdware Suggestions for exim courier-imap
On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 14:54 +0100, Simon Chappell wrote:
> I remounted as you suggested and teh load average has plummeted.

I should have mentioned in my original post that some mail systems can
use the atime - specifically to check when the mailbox (probably always
with a mbox format file) was last read. If atime is missing then it
could potentially misbehave - most likely tell you there is new mail
when you have already seen it.

However since most folks appear to be moving away from mbox, and most
software doesn't use this technique, setting atime updates off is fairly
reasonable - and well worth it. [Top tip, do this on a laptop - then
you don't get a write generated to the disk every few seconds when
something reads a file - which is really worth it for both bandwidth and
battery life reasons]

    Nigel.