Re: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?

Autor: Tim Jackson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] O¨Reilly Exim book useful for Exim 4?
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:07:31 -0400 (EDT)
Sherzod Ruzmetov <sherzodr@???> wrote:

> Regarding the O'reilly Exim book, I just added it to my Safari
> Bookshelf couple days ago, and so far I noticed that configuration
> syntax tought in the book is a little different than the one came
> with my latest Exim.
>
> I blindly concluded that the configuration file syntax was changed
> (or extended?) in the 4.x version, but I'm still not sure if 4.x
> syntax is bakward comtible with the older syntax.

No. Exim changed *hugely* both in design and configuration syntax from
Exim 3 to Exim 4. (That's not to say there aren't still some options
that still exist in 4 that were in 3, but there are a lot that aren't).
There is a utility to convert v3 configs to v4, but that's only
intended for people who already have working v3 configs that they need
to migrate and has limitations.

This thread seems to have gone on a long time. Even O'Reilly are saying
the O'Reilly book is useless for Exim 4! Seriously, if you're new to/
unfamiliar with Exim, and are using Exim 4 (if not why?) don't try to
learn it from the O'Reilly book! It was fine for Exim 3 but things have
changed so much that you will only end up getting confused and not
learning half the stuff you need to know about like ACLs. Even if there
are a few bits that are still relevant, you're going to waste a lot of
time and effort picking out the bits that are from those that aren't -
it would be simpler just to start with something that actually covers
the topic in question!

Tim