Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client

Autor: Florian Weimer
A: Marc Haber
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client
* Marc Haber:

>>> I think Marc is referring to ISPs who require AUTH over ssmtp for their
>>> customers to submit mail. The customer could change to a different ISP, but
>>> I'd imagine that changing MTAs is often easier.
>
> I am actually referring to a trade fair network that has Ports TCP/25
> and TCP/587 blocked, but allows TCP/465, so ssmtp is the only way to
> connect to people's external smarthosts.

Use a VPN. I'm sure they don't block it. Make sure that they won't
block 587/TCP in the next year.

> One could actually VPN out to connect to one's own smarthost, but why
> doing so if ssmtp would work?

Isn't the availability of 465/TCP just an oversight?

Can Exim run SMTP over a set of pipes to a subprocess? If not, this
would be a far more useful feature than SSMTP support (and SSMTP could
be implemented on top of it, using stunnel).