Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client

Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [exim] Re: ssmtp with exim as a client
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:26:32 +0100 (BST), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Marc Sherman wrote:
>> I think Marc is referring to ISPs who require AUTH over ssmtp for their
>> customers to submit mail. The customer could change to a different ISP, but
>> I'd imagine that changing MTAs is often easier.

I am actually referring to a trade fair network that has Ports TCP/25
and TCP/587 blocked, but allows TCP/465, so ssmtp is the only way to
connect to people's external smarthosts.

One could actually VPN out to connect to one's own smarthost, but why
doing so if ssmtp would work?

>Any ISP that *requires* their customers to use an obsolete protocol that
>was *never* a standard deserves to lost custom.

... and that trade fair network is the only one available at that
trade fair at a remotely decent price.

The fair is over by now, and the problem was IIRC solved by replacing
exim with postfix, but this was a good opportunity for the postfix
evangelists to cry "exim sucks" once more, and I doubt that the box in
question will convert back to exim any time soon, so exim's inability
to use ssmtp has made exim lose one more installation to postfix.

>And no doubt clients in due course will stop supporting ssmtp. Or am I
>indulging in wishful thinking here?

You are. Microsoft is still a firm believer in ssmtp.

Greetings
Marc