Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim arerefu…

Autor: Steve Lamb
A: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Assumptes nous: RE: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Eximarerefusingbounces...
Assumpte: Re: [exim] a large number of domains fronted by Exim arerefusingbounces...
Mark Smith wrote:
> Why not just enable the "Avoid duplicate copies of messages" option?

    Eh?  In what?  Probably because they aren't, strictly speaking, duplicate
copies.  Wait...  *googling*   Ah, you mean on mailman?  Simple reason.  I
filter list mail into a folder by list headers.  Those headers are not present
in the CC so they sit in my inbox.  So by turning nodupes on I would now have
part of the conversation in my inbox, part of the conversation in the list
folder.  The only way around that would be to filter on headers which are
common to both the CC and the list message which puts us right back to the
foolishness prior to the mid-to-late 90s when list headers became common
place.  IE, praying that the list admin would set something in the Subject
line, pray that all software packages along the way handled it gracefully and
praying for reply-to in spite of what the net nazis thought RFC822 said.
Instead we now have List-ID for easy filtering, List-Post to know where to
send intial messages and replies to, and Mail-Copies-To if one really were in
the mood for CCs of list mail.